Thursday, November 15, 2007

Weekend in Chicago

Chicago pictures! We had a really good time while we were there staying with Amy, but most of the pictures aren't of stuff we did so much as stuff I felt like taking pictures of. It was kind of hard to turn off work photography mode and get into fun photography mode, where everything doesn't have to be a meaningful work of art (but oh, if they all were ...). Eventually I got over the photo equivalent of writer's block and had a lot of fun with the snapshots, which I haven't just gone out and done in a long time. :)

Definitely been there. And I don't know what it is, if it's a big city/small city difference or something else, but I just know that this isn't a sign that you'd see in Indianapolis. Gives me something to think about.

Ode to Jamba Juice, which me and Billy kind of live for when we make the trip north. He is big on Orange Dream Machine, which is of course awesome, and I like the Razzmatazz, which is possibly a little less awesome but I feel like might be easier to take in larger doses, and since I want all the Jamba I can get but don't want to be sick, it does the trick that way. I tried Strawberry Surf Rider this time, but it was kind of tart for my liking.

This sign was just up between some stores on a pretty busy road, and I have no idea why, but I do really like it, even if I am completely unsure as to why that particular illustration was chosen to go with the quote. Nonetheless, it gave me pause.

The last one pretty perfectly segues into this. One of the things I really like about Chicago (and New York, and New Orleans, and other big and/or creative cities) is that there is little art all around. Or big art, I guess, but the point is, it's there.

This was actually a movie theater that we went to near Amy's house and I think that this was really the point where I realized that all pictures dont' have to be interesting to everyone as long as they're interesting to me, and this one was. I can't believe an actual movie was under there! It just seems so old school horror movie or something, and I love it. The theater was absolutely gorgeous, too, just detail on everything and either nicely restored or nicely maintained. However--we did see Blade Runner, which is supposedly a sci-fi classic, and since I love my sci-fi and my Harrison Ford, I was really excited for it. And I was on board for most of it, until the end, where it took a turn. And when I saw that it's 96 on AFI's Top 100 movie list, I was totally shocked because let me tell you, I did not love it.

The Brown Line is under construction but I couldn't resist the opportunity to photograph my (very common) name with the pretty red and yellow design. Oh, and Billy likes to joke that he's going to make a game show to find himself a new girlfriend and this is what it'll be called, and their last names all have to Brown too. Eye roll.

Chicago is so in love with itself. They put the word "Chicago" on EVERYTHING. You kind of have to see it to believe it, but I really think that next time I go I'm going to give myself a little assignment of taking pictures of all the interesting ways the word "Chicago" is displayed. Funny--I hated homework in school and now I'm giving myself some. :)

I'm pretty sure that by now, my love for fire hydrants is pretty well-documented, but I haven't really done anything with them yet. I'm hoping to get some picture frames for Christmas and then maybe I can hang some of these prints on my wall. I really don't know what it is about fire hydrants, if it's that they're all different due to different locations or varying degrees of neglect or age, or all pretty brightly colored so as to be easy to find, or if there is some lame part of my psyche that likes the metaphorical putting out of fires. Whatever it is, I'm just going to go with it.

Ah, nice. Now I will say that this is not really what this picture looked like, but it is the picture I set out to take with the skyline all silhouetted. Sigh. I love it.
Hopefully stay tuned for more snapshotting throughout the wedding off-season. I had a lot of fun with these!

2 comments:

The Way EYE See It... said...

I thought of Amy this weekend too.. I was in Chicago visiting my family and attending a conference. I visited my friend over in the Lakeview neighborhood ( I think - or West Lincoln Park...idk)

I also passed a Jamba Juice...and a whole bunch of really cool-looking stores.

Chicago would be fun with you!

Props to Billy for a fun new gameshow idea. You know people would do it - including you!

Anonymous said...

holla, billy here, just dropping some knowledge that the picture that talks about "in our hearts... we are always the quarterback." anyway, the illustration on that plaque or poster is of the original solider field. it was built back when we still considered stadiums monuments to the greatness of sport, country, city. it looks like the parthenon for a reason and you can still see those columns on the stadium as it is today, just with a little bit of modern day wizardry sticking up on top of it.

here's a good pic of it back in the day. click here