Monday, October 6, 2008

You could just say I'm slow, but I'm not going to say that because it lends itself too easily to jokes I'd rather avoid.

From the beginning, I have done my best to keep it real with everyone I work with, because that's how I want to be treated. That's why I treat you to my pop culture references, my random asides and bad jokes, and stories about my friends (who really graciously accept that this is part of being friends with me). And that's why I try to make every penny of my cost known up front, so that you don't end up being charged more as a surprise later. And that's why I'm about to tell you why your pictures are taking so long, even though some may consider it risky business.


Alright, so here's the deal. I include a DVD of images with all of my wedding packages. This is awesome because people can print their own pictures if they like, as many as they like, and not have to run it all through me first. They can put them on their MySpace, their Facebook, e-mail them, whatever. When the DVD hits their hands, it is theirs for life. Because of that, I can't just hit a few little basic editing buttons on my computer and apply it to all, and then post up a link and say, "Well, it'll get extra Photoshop love when they order." Every single picture has to be as good as it can possibly be by the time you get it, because that's what you're going to have for the rest of your life and you want it to be incredible. And I want that too. And that just takes time.


So my process right now is that I try to sit down and edit 30 wedding photos per day. Some days I get on a serious roll and get a lot more done. Some days it doesn't happen, but I can assure you it's NOT because I have a life--ocassionally things just happen, but not often. Now, in addition to that, I try to edit my portraits concurrently with weddings, because people usually need those on a more pressing timeline. This works out for everyone, including wedding clients, because it can sometimes give me a break from looking at one thing for too long, and then I can return to it with a fresh eye.


Oh, I feel like I should make this point really clear--absolutely EVERYONE has been fantastic about waiting for their pictures. But mostly, I know that you're really excited to see them and I just want you to know how excited I am for you to get them too, and that I'm working really hard on them and putting a lot of love and care into them.


Now, in the meantime, if anyone needs pictures for announcements, thank you cards, etc., just let me know and I'd be happy to send you a couple. And if you want to know where you are in my queue, you can totally feel free to e-mail me and I'll be happy to tell you.


Photobucket

I always feel bad when I post without a picture, so I'm not going to. I've been hanging onto this one for just such an occasion ... I took it at the State Museum on a scouting trip. :) I love it so much that I really think it's going to end up on my wall, someday. Hopefully sooner rather than later. It's nice, you know? Even if you can't always stop to smell the flowers, you can still look at them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very true..i never thought of it that way. you're doing all the dirty work BEFORE you order them...big difference. thanks for all your hard work Sarah!